Common Signs of Mold After a Fire or Flood

Though you might think that mold is something you’ll only see in your home after a flood, those spores can also build up following a fire. The men and women who worked on your home used hoses and sprayed water inside to put the fire out. That water creates the perfect environment for mold to grow. You can learn more about some of the signs of that mold before calling for help.

Musty Smell

That musty odor you detect in your home might not be a sign that you need to clean. It can actually indicate the presence of mold. You’ll usually notice this odor near the scene of the fire or flooding. Some also smell a musty scent coming from inside or under their cabinets or from inside the walls. Any type of mold can grow inside the walls and in other out of the way areas that you cannot see.

Discolored Spots

You’ll also want to keep an eye out for any discolored spots, especially those that are dark brown or black. Some types of mold may develop streaks that appear blue or green too. When mold spores first start growing, you might notice tiny dots of those colors. You can even see those spots growing beneath an AC unit that produces a lot of moisture and condensation. Those small spots can eventually grow into one large spot.

Mold Exposure Symptoms

It’s also important that you check yourself and your family for any symptoms that can indicate an exposure to any type of mold. The most common symptom of mold exposure is a change in the way you breathe. With constant exposure to mold, you might develop asthma that can feel like some type of intense pressure sitting on or in your chest. Those who already suffer from asthma will experience a worsening of their symptoms. Many people also suffer from flu-like symptoms, including a stuffy nose and a low fever. If you want to reduce the risk of mold growing in your home after a fire or flood, you should contact a water restoration Portland OR for help.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.